The Test Kitchen agrees that 375℉ is the best temperature to cook a turkey, because it’s not too hot, not too cold, and cooks quickly enough to ensure that a juicy, flavorful bird is ready by dinnertime.
Is 350 a good temperature to cook a turkey?
Roast the turkey uncovered at a temperature ranging from 325°F to 350°F. Higher temperatures may cause the meat to dry out, but this is preferable to temperatures that are too low which may not allow the interior of the turkey to cook to a safe temperature.
Can I cook a turkey at 350?
10. Calculate turkey cooking time and temperature. The simplest way to figure out turkey roasting times is to calculate 13 minutes per pound at 350°F for an unstuffed turkey (that’s about 3 hours for a 12- to 14-lb. turkey), or 15 minutes per pound for a stuffed turkey.
What is the best temperature to bake a turkey?
Begin by roasting your turkey at 425°F for 40 to 45 minutes before lowering the temperature of the oven to 350°F for the rest of the cook time. Like the other method, it’s a good idea to brush the turkey every 15 to 20 minutes with butter or olive oil to help the surface brown and keep the meat moist.
How long does it take to cook a 20lb turkey at 375?
- Preparing the bird – Heat oven to 375 degrees. …
- Cooking the bird – Estimate 12-15 minutes per pound for stuffed turkeys. …
- Testing for doneness – You can either test by checking the temperature or checking the color of the juices. …
- Finishing off – Remove bird from the oven.
Can I cook a turkey at 400?
400°F is the perfect temperature for cooking a whole bird. You’ll get crispy skin without compromising tenderness. Depending on the size of your bird, it should take anywhere from 3-6 hours to roast at 400°F. … Here’s a great time chart for turkey roasting.
How long should you cook a turkey at 325?
How Long to Roast a Turkey
- For one 8- to 12-pound turkey, roast at 325°F for 2¾ to 3 hours.
- For one 12- to 14-pound turkey, roast at 325°F for 3 to 3¾ hours.
- For one 14- to 18-pound turkey, roast at 325°F for 3¾ to 4¼ hours.
- For one 18- to 20-pound turkey, roast at 325°F for 4¼ to 4½ hours.
Should you cook a turkey covered or uncovered?
Q: Should I roast the bird covered or uncovered? A: The Butterball folks recommend cooking the turkey uncovered in a roasting pan. … If you put foil on the breast, remove it about 30-45 minutes before the turkey is done to allow the breast to brown.
How long does a 20lb turkey cook for?
Unsure how long you’re supposed to leave the bird in the oven? If you’re baking it at 325°F (the lowest temperature the USDA recommends), you’ll need to bake a 20-lb turkey in the oven for 4 to 5 hours if it’s unstuffed, and 4 ¼ to 5 ¼ hours if it’s stuffed.
How long do you cook a 10 pound turkey at 325?
How long to cook the turkey: temperatures and times
- For a 10–13-lb. turkey (weight with giblets): Bake in a 350° oven for 1 1/2–2 1/4 hr.
- For a 14–23-lb. turkey (weight with giblets): Bake in a 325° oven for 2–3 hr.
- For a 24–27-lb. …
- For a 28–30-lb turkey (weight with giblets): Bake in a 325° oven for 3 1/2–4 1/2 hr.
How long does it take to cook an 18 pound turkey at 350 degrees?
We recommend roasting turkey at 350 degrees F for 13 minutes per pound for an unstuffed turkey.
How Long to Cook a Turkey.
|Turkey Weight||Servings||Cooking Time|
|12 to 14 lb||8 to 10||2 3/4 to 3 hours|
|15 to 18 lb||10 to 12||3 1/4 to 4 hours|
|18 to 20 lb||12 to 14||4 to 4 1/4 hours|
|20 to 22 lb||14 to 16||4 1/4 to 4 3/4 hours|
Is turkey done at 165 or 180?
While some recipes state that turkey should be cooked to 180 degrees Fahrenheit, the meat is safe to consume once it reaches the 165-degree mark. Cooking the breasts past 165 can result in dry meat, but the dark meat can be cooked to 180.