The debate between food and the brain have been long fought. So can food really make you smarter?
The answer is: yes and no. Food definitely can’t improve you’re knowledge, but it can enhance brain function. While food should not solely be depended upon to keep your brain healthy, it can help.
Salmon Fish courtesy of Wikipedia
Enhance your memory and increase your alertness with these 5 best brain food:
1. Berries – Berries like blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and blackberries are rich in antioxidants, which reduce stress on the brain. Certain berries like strawberries contain fisetin which enhances memory. It’s recommended that adults consume three servings of fruit per day. For the enhanced brain function, consider eating at least one serving as berries.
2. Salmon – Salmon contains plenty of Omega-3 fatty acids, which allows your brain to develop tissue for increased mental power. In studies, salmon has shown to play an important role in fighting Alzheimer’s and other old-age brain disorders.
3. Coffee – Fresh ground coffee beans are rich of good-for-you vitamins, antioxidants, amino acids and minerals. For starters, coffee has been shown to reduce the risk of dementia. Studies are showing that coffee may reduce the growth of brain tumors and other possible brain diseases. While coffee is beneficial for the brain, it’s best to drink it in its purest form. In addition, it’s best to drink coffee in moderation, don’t go overboard!
4. Eggs – Eggs contain choline, a nutrient which is crucial to brain development and memory. This nutrient is especially important for younger children under age seven. However, eggs are high in cholesterol so eat them in moderation.
5. Nuts – Mixed nuts like peanuts, walnuts and pecans contain nutrients which help fight certain diseases like insomnia. Nuts also promote mental clarity and a powerful memory. In addition, many nuts contain Omega-3 fatty acids and mood-enhancing nutrients, keeping you healthy and happy.
While food can’t make you smarter, it can help you achieve a healthy and properly functioning brain. Enjoy these foods as often as you like, but remember moderation is key.