The original recipe for Minestrone alla Milanese cannot easily be found because in the past, when vegetables where rigorously seasonal, the ingredients varied depending on the seasons.
Minestrone Alla Milanese Recipe
Therefore, hot minestrone made in winter was prepared with ingredients different from those used for the cold or tepid soup in summer.
- 44 g bacon bits
- 63 g onions, white “diced” beef broth
- .5 liters water
- 320 g potatoes “diced”
- 70 g carrots, “diced”
- 25 g celery, “diced”
- .6 g parsley flakes
- 19 g tomato, whole peeled
- 13 g tomato water
- .1 kg kidney beans, red “soaked overnight” & pre-boiled
Salt and pepper to taste
- Sweat bacon and add the onions.
- Add beef broth and water.
- When boiling, add all other ingredients.
- Cook until the vegetables are cooked.
- Get half of mixture and blend to puree.
- Add to the rest of the vegetable mixture. Season to taste.
- Just before serving drizzle small amount of olive oil on top.