During the Cooking Demo at The Maya Kitchen last Saturday, Chef Kittin Constantino demonstrated the procedures of baking one of her favorite holiday dessert – Decadent Chocolate Rum Cake. Rum Cake is also one of my favorite cakes ( Rum Cake with Dates, Chocolate Rum Cake) coz it can stay longer because of the wine content. It also has a lot of variations and its easy to bake:)
Decadent Chocolate Rum Cake
Some experts traced that the origin of Rum Cake is the Caribbean in which the cake serves as a Christmas Dessert. The traditional Rum Cake has fruits in it which makes it similar to fruitcake but with a lighter texture.
Chef Kittin Constantino at Work
During the baking demo, I learned that Tanduay is a good Rum to use for baking — and a cheaper alternative too:)
- 1 c unsifted unsweetened cocoa
- 2 c boiling water
- 2-3/4 c MAYA All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c butter
- 2-1/2 c sugar
- 4 whole eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
A slice of Decadent Chocolate Rum Cake
1. In a bowl, mix unsweetened cocoa w/ 2 c boiling water; mix w/ wire whisk until smooth; set aside & cool completely.
2. Sift all dry ingredients except sugar; measure; then combine together.
3. In large bowl of mixer using paddle, beat butter, sugar, eggs & vanilla until light & fluffy.
4. At low speed, beat in flour mixture and liquid cocoa mixture alternately, ending with flour mixture.
5. Pour into 4 standard-size loaf pans.
6. Bake in 350 deg F oven for 30-35 mins.
Butter Rum Glaze Ingredients:
- 1 c butter
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1/4 c water
- 1 c rum
1. Pour all ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a simmer for approx. 5 mins.
2. Brush/pour generously rum mixture onto hot cakes.
Do you want to try other delicious offerings from the Cookbook Kitchen? Checkout their branches bellow:
1880-A Bldg., Eastwood City Cyberpark, E.Rodriguez Quezon City.
#8 Socorro Fernandez St. cor. Luna Mencias St. Mandaluyong City.
Greenfields Square, Km76 McArthur Hi-way, Sindalan, City of San Fernando, Pampanga.
Checkout this Rum Cake Recipe as well >> Panettone Cake with Rhum Glaze Recipe
Pinoy Food Blog Search:
- chocolate rum cake (32)