Beef Rendang is beef based dish which originated from Indonesia. It is now commonly eaten across various parts of the globe to welcome guests and is commonly available dish in Asian Restaurants.
Rendang is slowly cooked in coconut milk and spices for several hours in order to thicken the paste. This allows the meat to absorb spices in a uniform manner on the go. After boiling the meat is fried and the liquid is evaporated. Other garnishing is added to the dish in order to serve to the guests.
Dried Rendang can be kept for 3-4 months. The other form of Rendang is known as Kailo or wet Rendang and it should be consumed within one month. Rendang is generally served with steamed rice.
Recipe for Making Sumptuous Rendang (Serves 4)
- 1 kg rump steak
- 2 x onions minced
- 4 clv garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 4 sm red chilies minced
- 1/2 c. water
- 2 tsp grind coriander
- 2 Tbsp. tamarind sauce
- 1 tsp grind turmeric
- 10 x curry leaves
- stem of lemon grass 10cm long
- 4 c. coconut low fat milk
- Remove fat and sinew from steak cut meat into 3cm cubes place in a bowl.
- In food processor combine onions garlic ginger chilies and water blend till smooth.
- Add in the mix to steak.
- Add in coriander tamarind sauce, turmeric curry leaves and lemon grass lemon grass stir till combined.
- Stir in coconut low fat milk
- Bring to the boil reduce heat to medium simmer uncovered for 1hour stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to very low simmer for 30 min stirring frequently till the meat is very tender and liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove lemon grass before serving.
- Serve with rice.
- Note: It is necessary to stir the Beef Rendang often during the last 30 min of cooking to prevent coconut low fat milk from separating and to avoid sticking. This distinctive and delicious curry is cooked very slowly for a long time till the meat is very succulent and all the coconut lowfat milk has been absorbed.