Ive been wanting to bake Rum cake ever since I created this blog but I cant find an easy and simple recipe. While browsing an old magazine, I found an orange rum cake fuss-free recipe from Heny Sison. The instructions are easy to follow and you can even multi-task while baking it:)
I remember my first baking class with Heny Sison and Chef Jill Sandique a couple of years back, I learned that baking is all about following instructions, following instructions and following instructions. So here’s the recipe:)
Preparation time: 45 minutes to an hour
Baking time : 1 hour
- 6 whole eggs at room temperature
- 6 pieces egg yolk at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups + 6 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups + 3 tablespoons sifted cake flour
Orange flavored Rum Syrup Mix
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1 Cup sugar
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup rum
- slices of fruit or cherries for decorating the cake
Baking Instruction :
- – Preheat the Oven to 350F
- – Place the whole eggs, egg yolks and water in a small bowl then mix to combine without incorporating air
- – Heat to lukewarm in a double boiler for a few seconds then remove from heat
- – Place the butter in a mixer bowl and beat with a flat beater for two minutes at medium speed the add the sugar gradually and continue beating until fluffy and light in color.
- – With the mixer still running, pour in the egg mixture very slowly taking about five minutes to add all of it. Add Salt.
- – At low speed, add the flour 1/4 cup at a time then mix until smooth.
- – Pour the mixture into the prepared pans
- – Bake for about an hour or until done.
- – Prepare the syrup : In a saucepan, combine the butter, sugar and orange juice. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for five minutes. Cool slightly then add the rum
- – Set the cake on a plate. Prick holes all over the cake by using a skewer then pour the orange rum syrup over the cake
- – Cool the cake completely in the pan. Serve:)