I’m a big fan of Apple Pie, in fact I always order one whenever I go to McDonald’s. Since I really want to learn how to bake an Apple Pie, I asked my office mate Lara to teach me how to bake one. According to “The Dictionary of American Food and Drink,” the United States of America is the world’s largest apple-producing nation, this is why Apple Pie is Americas most popular fruit pie.
This popular pastry consist of top and bottom crust, the upper crust of which may be a pastry lattice woven of strips; exceptions are deep-dish apple pie with a top crust only, and open-face Tarte Tatin.
Apple pies come in all kinds of shapes, sizes, and flavors, including free-form, standard two-crust, caramel apple pie, French apple pie, apple crumb pie, sour cream apple pie, and many, many more. This Independence Day, try one of the following apple pies or desserts, or save a recipe for another special occasion or family meal.
This apple pie recipe is made with brown sugar, nutmeg, a little lemon, and other ingredients.
Cook Time: 1 hour
Servings : 8
- pastry for a 9-inch double crust pie
- 6 cups tart apples, sliced and peeled
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with the pastry. Mix next 8 ingredients and fill pie shell, laying apple slices flat. Dot with the butter or margarine.
- Roll out top crust and place it over the apple mixture, cutting slits in several places for steam to escape.
- Moisten edges of crust well with cold water and adjust top crust.
- With fingers or fork, pinch two crusts together to make a tight seal around pie.
- Bake in a hot oven, 450 degrees, for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 45 to 50 minutes longer.
Slide on to a serving plate, dust with caster sugar and serve.