Masuki : Better than the Original Ma Mon Luk

Much has been said about this famous Mami house in Binondo but I only got the change to taste it last weekend. Last Saturday, A group of travel bloggers decided to go on a tour around Makati and Binondo. We initially met at Starbucks Salcedo Village before heading to the Salcedo Weekend Market which is right in front of the coffee shop. After food tasting and photo taking in Salcedo Park we immediately headed to Binondo to start our short food tour and heritage tour in San Nicolas afterwards.

Masuki Binondo Chicken Mami

A Binondo food tour will never be complete without visiting Dong Bei Dumplings. Since its Meikah and Diane’s first time to try this, we ordered two plates of freshly boiled pork and kutchay dumplings. We assumed that dumplings would suffice as an appetizer since we were planning to try other authentic cantonese dishes in Benavidez street but our loud “burp” pretty much meant our stomachs couldn’t take anymore (LOL).

Beef Wonton in Masuki Binondo

Next Stop : MaMi in Masuki

Since I didn’t have a Binondo map, I asked one of the fruit vendors about the restaurant’s location only to find out that I’ve been passing the area most of the time without noticing the famous Mami House. We were lucky to get a table for four immediately since the restaurant is usually crowded during weekend. A friendly waiter welcomed us and provided us the menu. If you are familiar with the old Ma Mon Luk Restaurant, you probably know what to expect and see in Masuki’s Menu. Why? Because the Masuki restaurant is owned by the grandchildren of the old Noodle King – Ma Mon Luk. (needs further confirmation)

Since our stomachs were replete with dumplings, we decided to order regular servings of their Original Chicken Mami and their famous Beef Wonton Mami. After a couple of minutes, the noodles were served in a huge bowl full of toppings. Along with the super sized Mami, they also gave us cup of freshly chopped green onion leaves, which is a very common ingredient of the dish, and a cup of asado sauce made from sugar, black peppers, water and flour which you can mix into the steaming noodles.

Masuki Mami House in Binondo

Masuki’s Menu offers variety of “Gupit” noodles perfect for your hungry stomach. Aside from their ever popular Siopao (streamed pork bun), you can also try some of their specialty side dishes such as roast pork, beef brisket, wonton and siomai. The price is very reasonable and I realized that the Mami served in a popular Chinese Food Wanabe food chain is really overrated.

Unlike the Ma Mon Luk in Quiapo, Masuki is clean and the area is far from noisy jeepneys.

What is Gupit?

Gupit is a local term for noodles which was popularized by Mamonluk Restaurant. Ma Mon Luk is a famous cantonese restaurant with former branches in Quiapo, Quezon Ave. and Cubao are called Ma Mon Luk.

Masuki started their Mami Business in 1930 in Benavidez street which is still their present location. Currently Masuki has two branches, one in its original birthplace in Binondo and one in Greenhills.

Masuki Mami House Binondo

Branches :

MASUKI MAMI RESTAURANT

931 Benavidez Street, Binondo, Manila

Tel. No. 244-07-45, 243-2674

MASUKI MAMI HOUSE

368 Sekai Center Unit 203 Ortigas Ave. cor. Madison Street,

Greenhills, San Juan

Tel # 744-27-21 or 744-27-20

How to get there:

The Binondo church has always been the rendezvous for groups who plan to walk around Manila’s China Town. Once you reach the Binondo church, ask anyone how to reach Benavidez Street. From Benavidez you can easily find Masuki.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pinoy Food Blog Search:

15 Comments

• RM says:

You’ve got it completely wrong. Masuki is not owned by the grandchildren of Ma Mon Luk.

• Mamon says:

The individuals who identify themselves were not grandchildren of the late Ma Mon Luk but half brother and sisters of Ma Mon Luk eldest son with his second wife.

• thanks for the info

• mami trooper says:

oh well, whether the owners of masuki restaurant are relatives or not of ma mun luk, who cares! i just enjoy their large bowl of original mami and large siopao. and i cant live without it.

• I agree, just enjoy the food:)

• Izzy Centeno says:

It’s been long tested there food and 2 tumbs up for the taste of there mami and siopao. I kept eating to the place since the 80’s. Long live Masuki…………………..

• lito angeles says:

I THINK MAMONLUK IS BETTER SINCE IT IS THE ORIGINAL MAMI AND SIOPAO HOUSE. THE LOOKS AND THE SMELL OF HOT SOUP MAKES MAMONLUK NUMBER ONE

• Papichulo168 says:

On the rare occassions I get to visit Binondo, I came at a crossroads choice between Wai Ying and Masuki. I chose Masuki. Needless to say, I wasted my Binondo visit!

• Lily says:

Actually ang pinupunta ko dito.. YUNG PANSIT! yung home made egg noodle nila .. YUMMY

• swordfish says:

i remember eating @ ma mun luk quiapo with my dad when i was in grade school and my dad told me that they also used to eat @ ma mun luk with my grandfather when he was also in grade school. the mami and siopao at ma mun luk is the best not too long ago but it deteriorated. hence, i am now a great fan of ma su ki. i also brought my dad @ ma su ki one time, and he became a great fan of ma su ki too.

• chancelina says:

My grandfather used to take my dad and my uncles there back when we were younger. My dad has been taking me and my siblings there since God-knows-when. I’ve finally managed to take my boyfriend there for totally yumyums good food. It’s turning into a happy family tradition.

May masabi lang. 😀

• Jeffrey Wong says:

I believe the owners of Masuki are decendants of Mr. Ma Mon Luk, just not sure whether they are the son and daugthers or grand children. My Dad used to work with Mr. Ma Mon Luk during his younger years, and I remember we got a discount when we ate at Masuki in Benavides when the owner arrived, that was way long time ago 🙂

• lz says:

I miss this place 🙁 I have not been back for a while but the manong in the pink shirt still looks like the same one who was there when I used to frequent this place. Funny experience though… I brought my brother and his wife here a few years back and she ordered iced tea. And they did give her iced tea – tea with ice 🙂

• binodo boy says:

atlhough ma-family tlaga ang surname ng may ari nyan nun napasa na cla sa mga grand children nyan but they did not removed their surname sa new name nila kya mero silang caption na “ma family etc…” sa new name nila…en yun ma-mon-luk is still open sa may recto corner avenida pero di na sya yun ma-mon-luk tulad ng dati yun taste…and pag nsa binondo ka mahirap tlga sya hanapin although binondo pa sya is nsa recto na sya…the best way to go there is from recto di kna maliligaw recto corner benavidez sya yun pinaka madli magpunt s knya…late 90`s to early 2000 yata nagpalit ng name cla…yun mga waiters dyan way back 80`s is matatanda cmula plng nun 60`s nandyan n cla tapos marurnong n mag chinese hehe…and dati yun chopsticks dyan ivory hndi yun disposable cgurado aq natatandaan yun ng mga nag comments dito kung inabot nila 80`s era ng ma-suki…nun medyo marami ng maloloko kumkain dyan inuuwi yun chopsticks nila kc ivory nga…

5 Trackbacks